I thought I would speak about my guild today. Its a strange vocation as a guild mistress. I don't think anyone expected me to be any good at it when I was in my old guild. In fact my on-line persona was very different to the CM of today. One of the reasons is I am ofc a little older, but then that I have to be responsible in a way I never had to when I was a officer in my previous guild. I have other people to do that for me. I was just a bit of spirit, a laugh, a flirtatious person. I was however very very good at keeping guild spirit up, and I knew how to delegate, to those who knew more.
Then Vanilla came along and I was so nervous that I wouldn't be professional enough that I couldn't manage everyone well enough, that it would descend into chaos every time someone had a difference of opinion. I learnt I could be strong enough to balance all the male egos behind the scenes in Vanilla. Its a daily job at times, this amazing balancing act. I'm surprised at times how protective I feel towards my guild mates. My online family. The truth is they have given me a great deal of joy. I am so thankful that the officers and councillors I have in the guild are so willing to blow up but then get back to normal. They have all been a rock. Some ofc more then others :)
I think if your going to be a good GM you cant be a fly by your pants type of person. You have to have rules and routines as no one likes change without a damn good reason. People like good organisation and a good social aspect fostered. I really try to do this, as do many of the people I play beside. I think people at times think I am a stickler for the rules, and yes they would be right. i have even lost people from my guild that I like immensely as I had to appear fair when I dealt with them....those times never make me feel very good. If I have rules I have to stick by them....even my rl partner knows he is no exception to this but I am sure overall he respects me for it.
The guild are, as time goes by, more like family to me. I really do care for them. I try to take care of the newcomers, hope the existing motley crew except them....they usually do.
Online world, I don't care. I socialise with these people. Hoping to meet many of them in August in 2011. How many years we go on, I'm not sure. But I have every intention of going on as long as people are happy with what I'm trying to do.
/fingers crossed
Id also like to thank Bramtak as without watching him, and what a good GM he was, I never have made it past a month.
ReplyDelete